Last updated: 2024-01-05
Who we are
“Personal Information” generally means any information that can reasonably identify you as an individual, and any other information we associate with it. We collect categories of information, from different sources.
- Profile information and other content you voluntarily provide us, which may include:
- User name and password
- Similar professional contact information if you interact with us in the scope of your employment, for instance if you place a commercial order or book a corporate event. This may include your employer, job title, work address, phone and/or email, and similar such information.
- Any content or contributions you post in a public space on the Sites. This includes comments, videos, and photos that you might submit. If you contact us through a social media site, we may collect your social media identifier.
- Any information you provide in communications with us, such as via social media, e-mail, or our customer call center.
- Transaction history, for instance if you make a purchase from our online store or purchase services from the Sites.
- Payment information, such as when you make a purchase with us and we need your billing information to process the transaction.
- Information that is passively collected when you use the Sites, such as by our web servers and by third-party analytics tools we use:
- Our system logs may record certain information about visitors to our Sites, including the web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, device and mobile ad identifiers, browser information, interaction with the Sites, pages viewed, app usage, and other such information; we may collect similar information from emails you receive from us that can help us track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients.
- We may detect the physical location of your device by, for example, using GPS information collected by mobile apps or location information shared by your web browser. We collect this information for purposes of enhancing or facilitating our services, such as enabling certain functionalities of the Sites that can provide you with information about promotions or relevant product information near you. We may use your device’s physical location to better understand how our Sites and other services and functionality are being used and to provide you with relevant and personalized location-based services and content, including advertising. Should you wish to opt out of the collection of this information, please adjust the settings of your device so that information about your physical location is not sent to us or third parties by (a) disabling location services within the device settings; or (b) denying certain websites or mobile applications permission to access location information by changing the relevant preferences and permissions in your mobile device or browser settings. Please note that your location may be derived from your WiFi, Bluetooth, and other device settings. Please consult your device settings for further information.
- We may receive information from third parties such as advertising and marketing partners, public databases, and social media platforms, to supplement the information we receive from our consumers. If we do so, this policy governs how we can use that information.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use Personal Information as permitted by law, for the following business purposes:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests
- to communicate with you about and to process orders, purchases, returns, services, donations, promotions, campaigns, programs, contests, sweepstakes, rewards, and accounts
- to inform you about our services, promotions, events or other promotional purposes
- to re-contact you if we have not heard from you in a while
- to send you advertising/promotional material from any of our affiliates, and on behalf of our promotional and strategic partners
- to improve your experience with our services, such as by personalizing your experience with us
- to allow you to participate in polls, sweepstakes, promotions, contests and other promotions and to administer these activities
- to deliver gift cards or gifts to others in accordance with your instructions
- to permit you to participate in social sharing, including live social media feeds
- to perform analytics, quality control, market research, and determine the effectiveness of our websites, mobile applications, promotional campaigns, and develop new products and services
We may also use Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate for certain essential purposes, including:
- to comply with applicable law and legal process
- to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence
- to detect, prevent, or investigate potential security incidents or fraud
- to facilitate the functionality of our mobile applications and websites
- to provide important product safety information and notice of product recalls
- to enforce our terms and conditions
- to protect our operations or those of our affiliates
- to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, security, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others
- to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain
How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
- To the extent permitted by law, all of your Personal Information may be disclosed with the following categories of third parties:
- to our third-party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, credit card processing, auditing services, and other business services, to enable them to provide services
- to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings)
- in connection with the essential purposes described above (e.g., to comply with legal obligations)
- To the extent permitted by law, your name and contact information (and other information you make public) may be disclosed with the following categories of third parties:
- to third-party strategic partners with whom we may enter into a special relationship for promotional activities, where permitted by law
- to distributing partners with whom we share information for product sales and distribution
- to our suppliers and delivery partners, if you interact with M and M Scrap Metal in a business context and sharing your information is reasonably necessary in connection with a corporate order or related inquiry
- To the extent permitted by law, information that is passively collected when you use the Sites may be disclosed with the following categories of third parties:
- Our online and email advertisers or other third-party vendors we use who may provide cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs, or other similar technologies for use on our Sites or other websites to manage and improve our online and email advertising campaigns.
Our disclosure of your personal information to third parties, including distributing partners and advertising and analytics providers, may constitute a sale under certain state laws and, in California, may also constitute “sharing” (which is a term used to address the sharing of information for advertising purposes). To the extent that our use constitutes a sale or sharing of your personal information, you have the right to opt-out by (a) enabling an opt-out preference signal or Global Privacy Control (GPC) on your browser, or (b) opting-out of cookies in our U.S.-facing websites’ cookie preference center and submitting an opt-out request.
We use standard physical, technical, and administrative measures designed to reduce the risk of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of your Personal Information. Unfortunately, no system or network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below (note that physical mail notification will delay the time it takes for us to respond to the problem).
YOUR CHOICES AND ACCESS RIGHTS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
You can opt out of receiving promotional emails and mailings by informing us of your preferences when you sign up for an M and M Scrap Metal account or modifying your promotional preferences online in your profile’s account management section. To stop receiving phone, mail, SMS, and/or email marketing communications from us, you may text “STOP” to a text message from us or click “unsubscribe” at the bottom of an email from us. In addition, you may let us know as directed below in the “Contacting Us” section. Please specify which types of communications you no longer wish to receive, and the relevant telephone number, address, and/or e-mail address. If you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related messages from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, such as emails about your accounts or purchases.
We will not disclose your Personal Information to third parties if we have received and processed a request from you not to do so. To submit such a request, please contact us by clicking here: Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where your data is sent
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.